Thursday, July 29, 2010

Independence Day


Just days before we left the U.S. to return to Peru, we celebrated July 4. It was definitely more meaningful, knowing it would be our last time to celebrate in the U.S. for a while. Every time I heard the national anthem that week, I was moved to tears. Our choir at church sang it and it was very difficult for me each time we practiced, in a good way! I love the United States of America. It is home. It is my country. It is still the greatest nation on earth.

Yesterday, July 28, was Independence Day here in Peru. They celebrated almost 200 years of independence from Spain. They celebrate much the same way we do in the U.S. Yesterday was a national holiday, people travel, visit family, do fireworks, etc. Some of the differences are that here in Peru, the president attends a mass that is televised and they have a military parade that is also televised. (It's really cool) Also, it is law that every home and business put out a Peruvian flag, so there are flags everywhere, which is pretty cool as well. I don't think they cook out or eat apple pie, but the day before, the 27th, is National Day of Authentic Peruvian Food.

Honestly, the 28th of July holds very little meaning for me. I'm thankful that Peru is an independent and free nation, very thankful. But July 4th is the day that I love and celebrate.

People often ask me where "home" is. It's where our family is, but in my heart, the United States of America will always be my home. God bless the USA and God bless Peru!

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment