Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Church janitors

I can remember the church janitors from every church I've ever attended!  Church janitors often have a thankless job, but oh, so important and necessary.  I appreciate their job much more now that Brent, the kids and I have the big job of keeping our rented church facilities clean!

Our rented space is on a dirt road so it is constantly dusty.  The wonderful roof that was constructed by our friends from Lima and Texas has several considerable leaks so when it rains, there is plenty of water to mop up.  We like to have soda and/or snacks almost every time we meet, so there are inevitably stains, glops or crushed chips on the floor.  When we hand out candy to the kids, probably 10 wrappers make it into the trash and we have found chewed gum in every conceivable place.  Then there are the two bathrooms.  There is usually evidence of a rat friend or two, and other......stuff to clean up.

I am so proud of our kids, who are really a huge help and have hammered nails, scrubbed toilets, swept, mopped, painted, cleaned 80 chairs from top to bottom, picked up trash, sanded......on and on I could go, and all of this in extremely hot conditions.  They are such a blessing to us and I know God sees their service and will reward them for it.

Mostly, I am just so thankful for the men and women who's job it is to keep our churches clean and in order.  I remember the O'Mears in Kennesaw, GA, an elderly couple who volunteered their time to clean our large church building.  Take a minute and thank your church janitor this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment