Wednesday, April 6, 2011

the i-marriage

Brent and I love to listen to Andy Stanley's messages online.  God has given Andy a gift of teaching and he consistently explains concepts and principles from the Bible in a fresh, understandable way.  If you've never heard him speak, it would be worth your time to look him up.


Recently, we have been listening to a 3 week marriage series Andy did called "the i-marriage".  Well, it is rocking my world.  I have read lots of marriage books,  have been to several marriage conferences, been in church all my life and have lived almost 17 years of marital bliss, but am hearing ideas and thoughts about marriage I've never heard before. 


I have actually heard someone say once that marriage was easy.  I laughed.  I've heard of a marriage scored on a scale of 1-10, winning a 9.   I wanted to laugh.   We all know marriage is a living, breathing, changing organism called a relationship.  It is hard.  It will always be hard.  If it were easy, there would be no need for the thousands of books, seminars, workshops, conferences, counselors, sermons and professionals who address it.  Divorce wouldn't be the norm, inside and outside of the church.


I know there is always more to learn and miles to go before my marriage is perfect.  I also know I would not want to walk this road or figure it all out with anyone but Brent.


I won't try to reword or summarize Andy's lessons, I'll just list a few ideas that are twirling around in my brain and heart these days........


1) Brent owes me absolutely nothing.


2) Unconditional love is impossible to give or receive in a debt-debtor relationship.


3) When the Bible says "as to the Lord" (in reference to love and respect in marriage), it may just be literal.  


4) God has given spouses to each other as the physical manifestation of His love ~ Brent should know and experience God's love through me.


It's all heavy stuff and a bit complicated when it comes to practical, every day living, but has been a breath of fresh air for us and a challenge as well.  


This series could be a life changer for you, or maybe a marriage saver.  Listen to it!  I'd love to hear your thoughts.


Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment