Saturday, May 7, 2011

Motherhood - what a ride!

My children are 11, 9, and 5 years old.  I am still the best and most beautiful mom in the world to them.  I know this may not always be the case, but for now, I am the most important woman in their lives and I also have the most influence in their formation and development.  At times, this scares me to death, but mostly, I am so thankful and consider it an amazing privilege.


Being a mother is the most incredible and awesome job I could imagine.  Only a mother knows the unspeakable joy that comes with carrying a baby for nine months, being the source of his/her nourishment for the first year, and hearing the word "ma ma" come out of that little mouth.  I cannot think of a greater honor than to give life.  I will never, ever forget October 27, 1999 at 11:56 pm, February 1, 2001 at 3:00 pm, or April 17, 2006 at 3:30 pm.  These were truly some of the most meaningful moments of my life.


I can also not think of a greater responsibility in the world than the character development, spiritual training, and overall care of a child.  Not to discount the role of the father, of course....I could not be half the mother I am without my husband and I am so grateful our children have a godly role model in their dad.  I will never be able to comprehend how single mothers do it and my hat goes off to them.  My job is much easier with a fantastic father by my side.


So many days I second guess myself and the decisions I make as a mother.  I want more than anything to be a godly, balanced and wise mom who is kind, consistent and loves unconditionally.  So often, I fail to measure up to my own standard and wish I could re-do the day (or week).  I am thankful for forgiving and resilient kids who love and accept me in spite of my many mistakes.  I think and hope they understand that I am growing and learning too, right along with them.


I will never be able to put into words how thankful I am for my Olivia Ruth, Kyall Brent, and Lucas Seth.  They are treasures.  Each one is so very different from the other and they each need my love in different ways.  This can be daunting, but as I seek the Lord and wise counsel, I learn how to meet the needs of each one.  I will never be a perfect mom.  I will have to ask forgiveness a hundred more times, I'm sure.  But my kids will know I love them, of that I'm sure.


My greatest desire is that my children grow up to love their Heavenly Father with all their heart, soul, mind and strength - that's it.  This is my prayer for them.  I am honored to be a part of their lives.  Olivia, Kyall and Lucas, I love you more than I can say.  You mean the world to me and I am humbled and grateful to be your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment