Monday, May 9, 2011

A small tribute to my mother



(Mom on the left and her sister, Rozzie on the right ~ our special tea at the Victorian tearoom.)


Born 62 years ago to a humble, preacher father and a young new wife, Deborah Lee Coldiron was the first of 5 children in the Coldiron family.  She grew up in Trenton and Middletown, Ohio.  Oh, the stories I've heard of the "house on Potter St." by the railroad tracks.  This is where she spent her first years and where she shared a bed with her sister and brother.  They had an outhouse and if anyone had to go in the night, everyone went together.  


My grandparents, Harold and Jackie, took their family to church every Sunday and my mom grew up hearing the truth of God's Word.  For this, I am immensely grateful to my grandparents.  Their church, Grace Baptist, is still alive and well today and my grandfather still attends.  We buried my grandmother, Jackie, just last year.


My mom, Debbie, met and married my dad, David, at Baptist Bible College in Springfield, MO in 1967 or 68.  She originally didn't care much for him, but he won her over with his smile and his love for the Lord.  They were married in August of 1969.  They moved to Fairfax, VA very soon after they were married and started immediately to work in a church there.  


Some special memories I have of my growing up years with my mom are our occasional girls' lunches out, sitting around the dinner table as a family, family devotions, her snicker doodle cookies, and watching her put her make-up on.  I also remember playing with her hair and being amazed she could tease it so high!  I remember how special I felt when she would hold my hand in church or when she hugged me.  I always loved her hands, so soft, slender and beautiful.  


As I got older, I remember her sharing her clothes with me, passing down her jewelry to me and teaching me to shave my legs.  I learned how to be a lady, how to be feminine in all situations, how to make my home a priority, how to be faithful to my husband and how to love my children from my mom.


All my life I have been told how much I look like her and she would always respond with "I'm sorry, honey" - as if!  I was always proud to look like her and super proud to have such a beautiful mother.   


My mom and I celebrate our birthdays only a day apart this month, and here's wishing her a special day. Mother's Day is a special day for me because of my precious children, but I do spend the day thinking of my mom.  I am so thankful to God for His perfect plan and wisdom in giving us the parents He does.  I love you, Mom, and admire you greatly.  Thank you for your faithful love to me and your example.


Miriam

2 comments:

  1. I agree, your mom is a beautiful woman. You do look at lot like her. Love hearing your sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful, Miriam! You do have such a wonderful, godly Mom. I have many good memories of both of your parents when you and I were kids. We are so blessed to have been raised by Moms who taught us through their examples!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete