Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A small tribute to my dad

                                                      My dad and me Father's Day, 2010






Father's Day this year went by in a blur, as we were in the car for 10 hours and exhausted when we arrived home.  A few days late, but just as sincere, here is a small tribute to my father.


David Paul Perdue, born in Texas, the same day as Prince Charles, is the true prince in my eyes.  Brought up by a humble preacher and a hard working mother, his love for the Lord started very early.  


My grandparents, Harold and Ruth Perdue brought him and his brothers up to serve the Lord with fervor and faithfulness.  My dear Grandma Ruth is 88 today and doing great.  My grandpa has been in Heaven for over 10 years now.


The oldest of 4 brothers, he was an example to them of integrity, consistency, and hard work.  These qualities characterize him still today.


My dad's love of music also started very young and he and his brothers sang together all over Florida, where he grew up.  They have recently made a long overdue CD for my grandmother.  He studied music at Baptist Bible College and actually led the college choir as a student.  Also a lover of music is my mom, who my dad met and married in 1969.


Some memories of my dad during my growing up years are his "party pooper" t-shirt, his ability to do tons of push-ups, his gentle way of waking me up every morning, even though I would flail and whine, his faithfulness to God and the local church, his whistling, seeing him reading his Bible every morning at the breakfast table and him telling me he loved me every day.  As I got older, he was a great listener, was not afraid for us kids to ask "why", was an excellent Bible teacher of my Senior class, and accompanied me down two special aisles, homecoming my Jr. year and of course, my wedding day.  


Dad, thank you for your consistency, your example and your love.  I am so thankful God knows just who we need for parents.  I love you very much.


Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment