Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ashaninka volume 9

Ashaninka living is truly communal living.  There are no locks on doors or windows.  As a matter of fact, the house we meet in has no door!  The windows are all open, no screen or glass, just open.  They are fiercely protective of their own and as a community, trust each other to protect each other in the case of any type of robbery attempt or invasion of any sort.  No need for doors or glass.

I think of their unusual trust in each other.  At least it's unusual for us North Americans.  It costs us to trust. We're hoping with this all or nothing way of trusting, the Ashaninka friends we meet with will find it easier to trust in a Heavenly Father who longs to help, protect and be there for them.

This week, we continued to talk about God and His patience, mercy and strength.  As Brent taught, I watched as little Stefany played with and nibbled on a campanero, a fly-like insect, fat and at least 6 inches long.  It resembles a cicada in the U.S. but bigger.  Yes, I said nibbled.  It was campanero night.  The kids make homemade campanero catchers, made with very long bamboo sticks and a plastic cup or bottle attached to the top.  They will catch these insects by holding the cup up in a tree or up on a high pole or anywhere they have seen a bug.  Hard to explain, easy to do.  This is a very common snack and I learned how to prepare it.   I watched as the kids pulled the wings and legs off, bit the head off (bug still living) and just played with and handled it until it died.  Oh, I forgot the squeezing it until all the, uh....pee is out.  Then they fry it, salt it and wa-la - a crunchy snack....... or a remedy for asthma, whichever you are in need of at the time.  I just came out and said it.  I'm a bad missionary.  I said GROSS and asked them to please not ever ask me to eat one because I couldn't do it!  They laughed and laughed!!!  I sighed in relief.  No expectations, that's good.

Lydia said there were a few adults she knew of who would be interested in studying with us.  This was a great encouragement and we are hoping to meet these others very soon.  We are going to start having kids' time first, then adults, as the needs and capacity to think and understand are so different.  We long for God's moving and leading in this group of people.  We want to have some Ashaninka brothers and sisters!!!

I was presented with a large, beautiful mat made from palm leaves, knitted together by Lydia.  The desire to give and share is so ever-present and I continue to learn from these folks, poor in material goods, but rich in kindness and unselfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment