Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Fireworks

Let's talk about fireworks. Here in Peru, although illegal, thousands of people do fireworks on Dec. 24th and Dec. 30th. When I say "do fireworks" I mean set them off in their front yard or in the neighborhood street or park. True story. To say it is dangerous would be a huge understatement.

At about 11:50 pm on the 24th, I heard them begin. "Here we go" I thought, "I won't sleep so I'll see if I can see any fireworks from the windows." Well, where we are living, we are surrounded by thousands of people and I think most of them were doing fireworks that night! I could not even begin to describe the sound of it.....an unbelievable amount of pops, whistles and crackles, some very near and some farther away. The sound is like nothing I could explain or describe....just incredible and in some ways cool, in other ways, a bit unnerving. I did get a great showing from the bedroom window, btw.

Every year, I half expect a firework or two to rocket through one of our windows, they are that close! Car alarms go off everywhere, dogs bark and I've seen dozens of fireworks go off on the ground. Did I mention this is illegal? But how are you going to stop it when "everyone" does it?

All 3 kids were awakened and sent back to bed. This happens every year too.

Well, the intense noise went on until about 12:25 and then subsided some, but we heard fireworks off and on all night and many the next day as well. I was still hearing some at 10:30 am! My poor friends in another part of town were awake until 3 am with the steady sound of fireworks.

The 30th will be even more intense. I'm planning on going up onto the roof, settling in and watching - if you can't fight 'em, join 'em, huh? Well, something like that.

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment