Thursday, July 7, 2011

"I'm bored!"

Am I the only mom who gets all weird and geeky when kids say those two ugly words......"I'm bored"????  We spend hundreds of dollars each year on toys, dvd's, Wii games, crayons, paints, batteries, books, bikes, skate boards, balls, etc. and........they're bored??!!!!  Really???

I remember so well my own mother's frustration at hearing those words from us EVERY summer.  I do understand my kids because I would say them daily.  She would say "sorry" and go on with her day.  Same here.  I tell my kids "if you're bored, it's because you are choosing to be bored....go find something to do!"  It is not my job to entertain, make believe, bend over backwards or wrack my brain to come up with ideas to keep my kids busy.  It is my job to train, take care of and be available for them.

So, here we are, at the beginning of another summer and I've already heard it!  I have decided those two words are banned from our house forever.  Nobody is allowed to say they are bored.  They may be, but I don't want to hear it.  I want them to use a little imagination, be creative, play with their toys or......(drum roll).......play together!!!!

We're going to have a family meeting tonight and make a long list of ways to spend our days this summer.  We're going to have a "service" list, which includes any type of ministry or serving others, a "fun" list, a "costs money" list, a "going out" list, an "artsy" list and a "rainy day" list.  We'll see how many things we can come up with.  The list will be on the refrigerator and will be, I'm sure, referred to by me many times.

So, what are your summer boredom busters?  Any original ideas???  Share, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment