Wednesday, February 15, 2012

BE STILL

My 5 year old, Lucas, cannot be still.  Period.  He walks around while he's telling me a story.  He fidgets, changes positions and gets up regularly while he's eating.  He moves around, changing seats several times when watching tv.  He's five.  He's a boy.  It's understandable.

I'm an adult and still have trouble being still.  Oh, not in my chair or while eating.  In my heart.  "Be still my heart" is a well-known little phrase, usually used when we see or hear something we love.  For me, this phrase sums up a prayer of mine.  Why is it so hard to be still and know that He is God?

Being still means I am still and quiet before the Creator of the universe, able to hear Him.  I cannot hear Him clearly when I am not still.  Too much noise.  Too much movement.  I cannot be still when I am running around frantically, when I constantly either have a tv/cd on or have earbuds in my ears, when my most important goal of the day is to complete my to-do list before nightfall......when I am racing life.  I literally have to be STILL.  Like, not moving.  Open heart, empty of noise, a heart free of fear and doubt.  At peace.  KNOWING He is God....yesterday, today and forever.

He tells us to be still.  He reminds us to KNOW that He is God and He will be exalted.  When I bark at Lucas to "be still!" it's not life-changing.  When God commands me to "be still", it is.

1 comment:

  1. Funny...in my job I am constantly moving and sometimes chasing after a runaway special ed. kid that is bigger than me, runs faster and whom doesn't respond to my voice and in that moment today when the "experts" came to visit our school and give us "suggestions" to get the kids to obey, I want to run, shout, quit and pretty much tell them they aren't with these kids everyday. Then I hear that still small voice that says remember me? You prayed this morning for wisdom and guidance...so be still and know that I am God and I will show you the way. So thank-you for writing the blog and sharing your experience of that with us who are far from you but have the same God close and always ready to give us peace...if and when we are still.
    I appreciate you both and how you are serving the Lord in Peru and it is always encouraging to read your blogs. Keep em' coming. Love you, hugs to all the family.

    ReplyDelete