Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Let the Christmas season begin!

Warning: controversial material to follow.....

To fully enjoy the coming of fall, changing of the leaves, pumpkins and Thanksgiving, I need to be able to focus fully on these things. This means I don't want to be looking at Christmas stuff while also looking at pumpkins. It means that I should not see pumpkin pies and Christmas cookies in the same bin at the bakery. Thanksgiving and Christmas do not go hand in hand, they are two completely different events and should be celebrated separately (imo).

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and with it, the colors orange, yellow and brown. My mind has done the switch from pilgrims to presents, from turkey to tree and from giving thanks to baby Jesus. It is now ok to use red, green and gold. My kids may now make their Christmas lists and I will now begin shopping and decorating. Christmas music will now fill our home for exactly one month (just kidding, kind of).

So, I am now enjoying all the decorations and music. I am trying to get my mind and my family's to think about Jesus and the reason to celebrate this December.

Here in Peru, we are going from winter to spring right now and by Christmas, it will be hot. It is still hard for me to get used to and I really do miss the fall and all that goes with it in the U.S., but we do enjoy celebrating Christmas and swimming in the same week!

Every year, the Christmas decorations in Lima are more and better than the year before. Santa is meandering around in different stores (not sure how he does that), we're seeing more Christmas trees in peoples' windows, lots of pretty lights at night and music everywhere. Our favorite mall is decorated beautifully and has an enormous tree (50-60 ft. high) that we love. My favorite is the 6 story tall billboard with Santa drinking a Coca-Cola. 'Tis the season.

So, feel free to opine on the proper time to begin singing "Jingle Bells", but I'm gonna stick by my guns. Thanksgiving in November, Christmas in December. Whew, I feel much better now.

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment