Monday, March 7, 2011

Journal excerpts

Feb. 27 We made it to Pichanaki in 9 hrs. today! I was so tired but did not sleep a wink, as to not miss any of the unbelievable views along the way. I took about 100 pics of the scenery. We only had one vomit stop - not bad really. We counted 19 tunnels! Went to eat with a couple of the guys who went early to clean the house where the missions group will stay. I was so happy to find the big, clean and yum-o Chifa place! (Chinese food) We will be able to eat out after all!

Feb. 28 The group is here and on arrival, found out their house has no bathroom or shower. Oh. My. Goodness. I feel terrible, but they all have such wonderful attitudes, it's amazing. It isn't nearly as hot as I expected. We all want it to rain! The mountains are breathtaking. I will thoroughly enjoy looking at these each day. This is actually a nice little town after all. I think I'll like it. I went into a tiny store to see what they had and found peanut butter and canned corn! Couldn't believe it. It was a gift from God. (only a missionary can understand this)

March 1 It is lightly raining today, so pretty. I am learning a ton about the Peruvian kitchen and how the magic happens! I have learned how to cook several things today, the Peruvian way! The guys are at the site of our future church working on putting a roof up. Bless them. There is also no bathroom at the church. They are all going to the market and using the public bathrooms and showers. Still no complaining. Thank God for such awesome people to work with.

March 2 More work on the roof today. The gals and I are at the house, getting tracts ready to hand out and preparing for "Kids' Club" we're going to do later this week. I am overwhelmed by God's goodness to my family. To have such friends who want to help us and to have found such a wonderful place for a church and the people He's allowing us to meet....it is all filling my heart with joy. Today the girls pitched in at the church, painting, sanding and cleaning. So tired, but so happy.

March 3 The roof is taking forever. These guys have worked so hard. It rained hard today and was so pretty. I could have curled up on the floor and slept all day. We're ready to start inviting kids to the "Club" and adults to our first service on Sat. night. Went to the river today. Wow, was that gorgeous. All the guys got in, including my guys. Olivia got her picture taken with a boa around her neck. Yep. All in a day's work. I am exhausted, but no complaining. I am so excited to see the finished roof.

March 4 Today we had 30 kids come! It was so great, they all were so sweet and attentive. I kept thinking how one or more of them may end up pastoring/ministering in this church. Every soul counts. I love them already. The mime team did their mime in the plaza tonight. At least 100 people were watching and many were witnessed to afterwards. I hope lots of them will come tomorrow night. We handed out a couple hundred tracts too. God has blessed me in more ways than I can say this week. I praise Him.

March 5 I love the rain! Although it muddies up everything, it is beautiful to watch. The green here is so green! Olivia doesn't want to leave. I can't wait to live here. 40 kids came today! They are so sweet and I pray the seed was planted in many of their little hearts. We counted 71 people tonight for our "opening service". (24 were from Lima) I was so tired I could hardly see straight but was blessed immensely to see so many. I got to talk to Yolanda and Sra. Gomez and am praying for their salvation. We now have a huge, green sign that says "Iglesia Biblica Bautista de Pichanaki." Wow, it's really happening. Bless the Lord.

March 6 Rained again today. Nobody came back to church today! I couldn't believe it! It seems the night might be the best time to have services. We'll figure it all out as we go. Brent had such an awesome outlook and reminded me it wasn't our job to fill a church. It is our job to obey and love God. So, mission accomplished. We said goodbye to some dear, dear brothers and sisters in Christ who helped us so very much this week. I pray God will bless each one abundantly. I will miss them all terribly. My kids are so sad to say bye to them. Thank you, Iglesia Biblica Bautista de Puente Piedra! We love you and we know your work is for God and He sees. To God be the glory.

March 7 Intense drive home last night. Rain, snow, sleet, curvy, windy mountain roads covered in fog. I was scared. Only one vomit stop this time too, but it was a doosy and we had to clean up in freezing weather while sleet slammed us. Never want to drive it at night again. Thank you Lord for getting us home safely. Today, we are so tired but so happy. Can't wait to get back to Pichanaki! (lots of pics to come on fb)




2 comments:

  1. What an awesome report! I love how excited and prepared your heart is for this adventure calling. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete