Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What is man?

As I gazed at the enormous and beautiful mountain in front of me and thought about where I was....in a little corner neighborhood in the central jungle of Peru....I felt very small. I looked across the mud "yard" to the huts and thatched roofs, the naked little boys playing in the mud, the sour faced old woman sitting on a log, knitting, and the chickens waddling around and thought, "what am I doing here??" "Do I really believe that God sees me, even here?"

When I think of those little boys, lost under the vast blue sky above and the shadow of the mountains in their back yard, tears come to my eyes. God's love for them is just as great as it is for my little boys, and as it is for me. His love and care for the tired young mother, carrying her baby on her back as she works in the blazing sun is no different than His love for the president of the United States of America. He knows how many hairs are on the head of the father driving a moto taxi 14 hours a day to feed his family, just as he does the head of my own husband. His love doesn't vary from person to person. It is incomprehensible to us humans, but still true.

God does see me. He's the One who took me there. He's the One who gives me love for these people who speak a different language than me, who live differently than me. He's also the One who sees them and loves them and teaches me through them. Us and them. To God, all the same. His love is constant, unchanging and unprejudiced. I am small, but not too small for Him to know intimately. May God help me know how to share this message with others.

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment