Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Gift of a Day

Some days, it seems to me like the whole day was just a waste, you know? There are days that I am so bored, feel so useless, act grumpy, have no motivation to do anything.....ever been there?

God has been pricking my heart and reminding me that each day He gives me breath to live is a gift. An amazing gift. It doesn't matter if I accomplish anything worthwhile (in my eyes) or if I just spend the day picking up toys, washing clothes and correcting children. God has decided that He has a purpose for me to still be alive on this day and I should rejoice in it.

When I think of women who write books, save people's lives, speak in front of large crowds, teach college courses, translate the Bible into another language - things like these - I think of these women as successful. It is easy for me to see my life as having little success, because I don't do any of these things. I know this isn't true, because I know success looks very different to God than it does to me. How often I need to remind myself that if I am serving Him where He wants me and with a pure heart, I am successful!!

Being my husband's helper and my children's mother are my greatest and most important jobs and each day I should treasure these jobs. I am speaking mostly to myself when I say that each day is important and should be seen as an opportunity to love God more, love my family more and find joy in the ordinary.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about and absolutely everything to be thankful for. I hope I will continue to learn to see each day as a gift from my Heavenly Father, unwrap it and enjoy it - no matter what I'm doing or not doing - and offer it back to Him!

Miriam


1 comment:

  1. So true -- such a lovely post. It makes me think of Zephaniah 3:17:

    "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

    This has been a lesson that the Lord consistently reminds me of as well -- The wonders of each day and this beautiful reality: as we surrender every moment to our loving Lord, even the most mundane task is marked by the musical accompaniment of His pleasure.

    ReplyDelete